Cruising Basics

Do I need a passport for a cruise to Mexico or Alaska?

We always recommend that every traveler have a passport because it opens up the world of travel. However American citizens don't always need one to cruise to Alaska or Mexico. We'll first discuss those situations when a passport is not required.

When you take a "closed loop cruise" from a USA city you don't need to have a passport but rather can travel with a certified copy of your birth certificate and a government issued photo ID such as a driver's license. What is a closed loop cruise? It is any cruise that departs and returns to the same port in the USA. So for example a cruise from Los Angeles to Mexico that returns to terminate in Los Angeles qualifies, as would a round trip Alaska cruise from Settle.

If, however you plan to fly or drive to Vancouver, Canada to board your ship for your Alaska cruise, you'll need to have a current passport that doesn't expire for more than 6 months from when you return to the United States. The same fly/drive rule would apply to Mexico; however, very few cruises to Mexico originate outside the United States.

Just for the sake of being extra clear, what happens if you board a ship in Los Angeles, make stops in Mexico and other countries, sail through the Panama Canal and terminate in Miami, Florida? You'll need a passport.
The CruiseExperts Agency - The Original Online Cruise Experts
Phone: 1.888.804.CRUISE (2784), Website: , Hours: M-F 9AM to 4PM PT
Driving Directions - Google Maps, Address: 111 South Court Street Suite 104 Visalia, CA 93291 USA

Don't Overpay for Your Cruise

Want to receive Exclusive Cruise Offers? Join Our InnerCircle Newsletter Today! (Hint Hint, You will Get An Added Bonus for Signing Up)
State / Province*
We promise not to solicit your information to anyone!