Passport Help & Information

First-time applicants and those under the age of 16 have to apply in person. People who are renewing their passport can send all the necessary documents by mail.

One of the most important travel documents that you'll need when embarking on a cruise that sails outside the United States is a passport. However, obtaining this government-issued form of identification can be a bit confusing, especially when it comes to filling out all the necessary paperwork and sending it to the correct office.

Luckily, by reading over the information below, you'll understand everything necessary to ensure that the application process goes as smoothly as possible:

1) First-time applicants and those under the age of 16

You'll need to print and fill out the DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport form. Keep in mind that once you've done this, you need to drop it off in person at an Acceptance Facility or Passport Agency. At one of these offices, you'll need to show that you are a U.S. citizen. To prove this, remember to bring along your birth certificate, naturalization certificate or certificate of citizenship. Additionally, you'll need to substantiate who you say you are by providing a copy of your driver's license or current government or current military I.D. Pay the application fee, which ranges from state to state and submit one passport-size headshot taken in color.

2) Individuals renewing their passport

Those who fall into this category can do so by mail. Print and fill out the Form DS-82: Application for a U.S. Passport by Mail. Put this in a padded envelope along with your passport, one passport-size photo and the application fee. In the event that your current name is different than what it said on your last passport, you'll need to include a marriage certificate or court order that reflects this change in identity.

3) Processing information

It's never a good idea to wait until the last minute to apply for your passport. However, given how busy people are these days, it's easy to understand how that can happen. Expedited service is available and typically takes two to three weeks to arrive at your home. If this isn't enough time, you may want to consider using a company like A Briggs, which can secure your passport in as little as one business day. Individuals who aren't in a time crunch should know that routine service takes approximately four to six weeks.

4) Fees

First-time adult application fees total $135, and for children under the age of 16, it is $105. Children's passports cannot be renewed when they expire after 5 years. Passport renewal for adults costs $110.

At, we understand how confusing it can be to obtain your passport. That is why we're happy to provide you with more information and walk you through the process. To speak to one of our reputable Travel Advisors, call us at 1-888-804-CRUISE (2784) or contact us via our site. We'll help you with what ever your needs are.

The CruiseExperts Agency - The Original Online Cruise Experts
Phone: 1.888.804.CRUISE (2784), Website: , Hours: M-F 9AM to 4PM PT
Driving Directions - Google Maps, Address: 111 South Court Street Suite 104 Visalia, CA 93291 USA

Don't Overpay for Your Cruise

Want to receive Exclusive Cruise Offers? Join Our InnerCircle Newsletter Today! (Hint Hint, You will Get An Added Bonus for Signing Up)
State / Province*
We promise not to solicit your information to anyone!