Cruise Ship Phrases and Vocabulary
Learning to Navigate Your Way Around Your Ship
There is a lot more to finding your way around ship than saying take a left at the pizza shop and a right past the casino. Ships have specific names for locations, and it’s important to learn them.
- Bow: The forward (or front) of the ship. Fore and forward both refer to “towards” the bow.
- Stern or Aft: The back (aft-most) of the ship
- Port: When you are facing the bow (front) of the ship, the port side is on your left.
- Starboard: When you are facing the bow (front) of the ship, the starboard side is on your right.
- Bridge: The bridge is usually located in the bow of the ship and is the command center, which is manned by the captain and officers.
- Decks: The deck is the floor/s of your ship.
- Galley: The galley is the ship’s kitchen and where food is prepared. Some large ships may have more than one galley.
- Muster Station: This is the specific meeting spot for passengers when emergencies or evacuations occur. There may be a safety drill given here. You’ll have the location of your muster station in your stateroom.
- Cabin or Stateroom: This is your living and sleeping quarters while on your cruise ship. Today’s staterooms can be quite luxurious.
- Lido: This is the location of a swimming pool and its facilities.
- Gangway: The gangway is where you enter or exit the ship while docked.
Are you ready to start planning your next cruise? Here at CruiseExperts.com, we can help you find the best cruise deals for the destinations you dream about. We are here to help you with all your arrangements without any cost to you.
The best part? All our services are free! If you are a first-time cruiser, we can assist with choosing the best embarkation port for your cruise with the port stops you want. We can also assist with booking flights, hotels, and excursions. If an emergency arises, we are here to help. CruiseExperts.com are the experts when it comes to the best deals and discounts on the best cruises.
Call us today at 1.888.804.CRUISE (2784), and let us help you plan an exciting cruise.
Visit our webpage at CruiseExperts.com, and check out our Facebook page and join the InnerCircle for exclusive offers. Our Resource Center gives you all the “expert” knowledge you’ll need for your next cruise or cruise tour!
Our team of cruise consultants and support staff, based in Central California, counts nearly a century of combined talent, knowledge, and enthusiasm in the travel industry. We’re not just another internet upstart; our seasoned team has gained the trust and business of thousands of satisfied cruise and land vacation customers from all over the country since 1995. We ARE the original Cruise Experts.