Cruising Tips and Hacks
Ready to set off on a cruise? Some tips and hacks to help you cruise like a seasoned traveler
Whether you are a new voyager preparing for your first sea excursion or an experienced traveler setting off on your twentieth cruise, it is never too late to benefit from some good advice. Since cruising is our favorite thing to do, the staff at CruiseExperts.com have a lot on-board experience. We’ve put our heads together to come up with most valuable pieces of advice we we’ve gleaned over our years of cruising. We’ve included packing tips and checklists to help you get the most from your wardrobe, technology hacks that will make your voyage easier, and money-saving tips to stay on budget. All of our top cruising tips and hacks to help you have the most enjoyable cruise vacation ever!
Packing tips of the pros
The trick to packing for longer cruises is all about maximizing your wardrobe while saving space. Knowing how to pack and what to pack for a cruise can help. Try these tips:
- Roll your clothes instead of folding them when you pack; they’ll take up less room and emerge without hard-to-remove lines and wrinkles.
- Pack color-coordinated outfits that you can mix and match, so you can wear pieces more than once.
- Pack outfits in layers, so you can move through different decks and activities without having to go through a complete wardrobe change
- Bring comfortable, attractive shoes for on board ship – when we tracked our activity levels, we found we walked several miles a day getting around the ship!
Essential items every cruiser should pack
We’ve put together a handy packing for a cruise checklist of essential items that will improve your on-boardg experience. These useful little items don’t take up much room in your luggage, but they’ll make a big difference once you’re at sea!
- Wrinkle-spray – it’ll be your best grooming friend!
- Power strip – some cabins only have a single double outlet
- Extra bags – Bring bags in a variety of different sizes, including an extra tote or two, a soft cloth backpack, wet bag for swand gallon to snack sized Ziploc baggies with waterproof seals
- Magnetic hooks, clips, and note pads– They conveniently stick to metal cabin walls and open up storage possibilities
- Noise-blocking earplugs –cabins can be surprisingly noisy
- Lanyard – Keeps your sign and sail card conveniently at hand
- Turn off cellular data roaming to avoid a massive bill
- Purchase cellular packs for the countries where you’ll dock on your cruise
- Download any available cruise apps before you sail. You’ll get access to onboard activity schedules, shore excursions, etc. and be able to send unlimited text messages to fellow cruisers or free
Money-saving cruising hacks to stay on budget
- Take advantage of port day spa specials
- Load your stateroom card with cash instead of linking it to a credit card to avoid any unpleasant end of cruise surprises.
- Ask for your bill the night before cruise’s end so you can check for discrepancies
- Pay up front to avoid running up daily bills – purchasing beverage and internet packages, pre-booking specialty restaurants, and prepaying gratuities can save you a lot of money in the long-run
- Book your cruise through an online cruise agent instead of booking your cruise yourself. The knowledgeable cruise specialists at CruiseExperts.com can find you lower prices than if you booked your cruise direct! Call our cruise specialists to take advantage of fabulous members’ only deals and exclusive savings on cruises and cruisetours.
For more cruising tips and hacks or help booking your ideal cruise vacation, call the travel experts at CruiseExperts.com today at 1-888-804-CRUISE (2784). Don’t forget to like us on Facebook and join our InnerCircle for exclusive offers and cruise news you can use! Also, check out our new Resource Center, where you can receive expert knowledge from us before your next cruise or cruisetour!