Experience Germany’s best food and beers on a river cruise down the Elbe River from Berlin to Prague
If you are a beer and food lover, WWII history lover or a lover of pristine scenery and quaint cities—then a European river cruise down the Elbe River is what you’ve been looking for. We know this because at CruiseExperts.com we specialize in European river cruises and have helped countless others plan their river cruise vacations from start to finish.
From March through November you can board Viking River Cruises’ Schumann or Fontane ships and sail for 10 days along the “Elegant Elbe” River. You’ll fly in to Berlin, Germany and spend a day there, before transferring by bus to the port of Potsdam where you’ll board your ship. In no time you’ll be leisurely winding your way down the Elbe, which has no locks, so sailing is smooth and quiet. You’ll meander your way through former East Germany’s dramatic landscape, eventually ending up in Prague, Czech Republic. While there are many amazing historical sites to visits, it’s the German beer, homemade foods and European coffee that make this vacation exceptional and memorable. And Viking knows that—which is why they’ve made sure to allow time for you to explore the towns and try all the delicious local fare – savory traditional sausages, schnitzels, apple strudel, ales and lagers, and fresh-roasted coffees.
Speaking of food, while in the village of Torgau, we suggest you try the local favorite of asparagus with ham and potatoes covered in hollandaise sauce with a beer. In Madgeburg, try their currywurst which is grilled chopped sausage smothered in curry sauce, with, of course, beer.
While cruising along the Elbe, you’ll see the pristine Sandstone Mountains, deep gorges lush with green forests, farmlands and Saxon Switzerland, which is a hilly climbing area and national park around the Elbe valley south-east of Dresden in Saxony, Germany.
Tours and shore excursions are included in the river cruise. Some of the ones available to you are:
- A tour of the rococo Sanssouci Palace or baroque New Chambers in Potsdam.
- A guided walk in Wittenberg featuring Martin Luther’s house, St. Marien’s Church (where he preached) and Castle Church, famous for the posting of his 95 Theses, a UNESCO Site (UNESCO stands for United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) .
- A guided walk through Torgau, including Hartenfels Castle. While strolling through town, you may want to visit the first Protestant church and the oldest toy shop in Germany.
- A visit to a Porcelain factory and take a guided city walk through Castle Hill Old Town in Meissen.
- A tour of Dresden known as the “Florence on the Elbe” featuring Dresden Castle and Green vault’s collection of crown jewels. Plus you can take a guided walk to Zswinger Palace and Semper Opera House. A fun outing is to tag along with the Viking master chef on a shopping trip to the farmers market.
- A sample-tasting of the regional Bohemian beers in Litomerice.
- A tour of Prague, a UNESCO Site, including a Hradcany Castle tour.
There’ll also be plenty of cultural and educational activities during your unforgettable Elbe River cruise.
Onboard, you’ll enjoy Baroque chamber music and Czech folkloric dance performances that reflect the arts and culture of the region. Lecture series topics on the ship include the history of Martin Luther and the Protestant Reformation, Modern Day Czech and the 2002 Flood of the Elbe.
All in all, a river cruise down the Elbe River is an elegant experience, rich in beauty and history. We recommend you extend your vacation to include time in Berlin before embarking and time in Prague following the cruise, since you’re in the neighborhood anyway! There’s plenty to see and do in those historic cities to fill a few extra days!
Want more information?
Let our knowledgeable representatives at CruiseExperts.com help you. We can help you find the European river cruise that is right for you. We are here to answer any questions you may have about all your European river cruising options. Call us at 1-888-804-CRUISE (2784) or visit our website, www.CruiseExperts.com
Linda Brandt joined the team at CruiseExperts.com in November 2011. She has been working with the marketing team in many capacities. Her new role is to pass on the expertise of the agency to help travelers understand the world of cruising through blogging. She studied journalism and writing in college and was a writer for The Campus newspaper for two years at the College of the Sequoias. She is also currently working on her Bachelor’s degree.