What can I do onshore while my cruise ship is docked on Kauai?
Called the island of adventure, KAUAI has one cruise port–Nawiliwili
When your ship pulls in to Nawililli, your shore excursions are more cultural and remote than the other Hawaiian islands:
1. Waimea Canyon State Park is also known as the “Grand Canyon of the Pacific.” And if you’re adventurous, you can coast downhill on a 12-mile bike tour to the Pacific Ocean.
2. Na Pali Coast. You can get there by boat or by hiking the rugged Kalalau trail—no roads to this coast. However, it is the site of many Hollywood movies and a really good spot for snorkeling.
3. National Tropical Botanical Garden. These beautiful gardens are worth your time.
4. Hanalei Valley. Explore one of the most photographed destinations. After discovering the waterfalls and rainbows, head on over to Hanalei for some shopping, dining or beach activities. .
5. Kilohana Crater. Rent a 4-wheel drive to the Kilohana Crater and drive along the Haha’ulepu coast.
6. Kilaueau Lighthouse and Hanalei Pier. Take a scenic helicopter ride across the entire island to see the volcanoes, waterfalls and coastline as well as the Lighthouse.
7. Kualoa Experience Tour. This all-inclusive tour will take you to the famous movie sites, a ranch tour and a jungle expedition all in one trip.
9. Attend a Luau. Attend the Kalamaku Luau and watch hula dancers, fire poi ball twirlers and fire knife dancers. Make a day of it by taking the Plantation train and visiting the manor house before the show.
10. Kayak down the Wailua River that leads to the Fern Grotto. You can also take a river cruise that includes a luau and a romantic ceremony. Other great places to kayak are the Hidden Falls or the Jungle Falls.
11. Hanamaulu Ditch System Inner Tube Ride. Grab an inner tube and float down the Hanamaulu Ditch System through the tropical rain forest.
12. Zipline. There are lots of places you can zipline. Try the Kauai Canopy Zipline, or hike to the Iki Mua Zipline. If you want a full-day of adventure consider an excursion to Kipu Ranch that includes a jungle mountain trek, swim under a waterfall and a zipline ride.
13. Rent an ATV. Rent a mud bug and take an off-road adventure to the waterfalls, or a 4×4 ATV and stop along the way at one of the trails for a hike.
14. Horseback Riding. Go horseback riding for a more laid back adventure through lush hidden valleys and secluded beaches.
Whatever you decide to do while ashore in Kauai, CruiseExperts.com can help you make all your excursion arrangements and reservations. Just give us a call!
Join our Inner Circle or “Like” us on Facebook
Visit our website and sign up for our Inner Circle or “like” us on Facebook to receive updates on special deals for Hawaiian cruises, or whatever your favorite destination is. When you’re ready to plan your cruise, whether it be an Alaskan cruise tour, or even a European river cruise, we are here to help. Call 1-888-804-CRUIse(2784) or visit our website www.CruiseExperts.com.
Linda Brandt joined the team at CruiseExperts.com in November 2011. She has been working with the marketing team in many capacities. Her new role is to pass on the expertise of the agency to help travelers understand the world of cruising through blogging. She studied journalism and writing in college and was a writer for The Campus newspaper for two years at the College of the Sequoias. She is also currently working on her Bachelor’s degree.