There are differences between ocean and river cruises
If you’re thinking of taking a European vacation, two of the best travel options are river and ocean cruises. However, you should know river and ocean cruises are two completely different experiences. Several big differences are:
1. The ships. The river system in Europe is very complex. The rivers are sometimes very narrow and are filled with locks. While ocean cruisers can be 12 or 13 stories high, and vary in size, all river boats are the same size. No matter what river cruise line, all of their ships measure almost the same from port to starboard, and forward to aft. All river boats are only 3 floors tall, allowing them to fit under the many bridges that connect the towns along the river banks. The staterooms on the lower deck are actually half-submerged in the water, and the window view is usually filled with the webbed feet of ducklings paddling alongside the ship.
2. Number of passengers. Ocean ships hold up to 4,000 guests, while a river boat has approximately 200 passengers.
3. Ports. Because ocean ships are so large they can only dock at large ports which require taxis, buses and walking to get to the heart of the city. River boats travel through the land and dock right where you want to be.
4. The View. Instead of looking at water while cruising, on a river cruise you’ll be looking at the picturesque landscaping along the way.
5. Included. This is a word generally not associated with ocean cruising. On a river cruise, you really get bang for your buck. A river view stateroom, guided sightseeing tours, museum admissions, onboard cultural lectures, demonstrations, wine and beer and, of course, breakfast, lunch and dinner are all included in the price!
The Avalon Expression has contemporary amenities like sky decks, room service, internet access, gym and hair salon. Or, choose the Viking Embla where all suites have two rooms with a veranda off the living room and a French balcony in the bedroom, in-room 40-inch flat-panel TV and refrigerators.
People are choosing river cruises because the boats are luxurious, tours are included, local chefs, artisans and entertainers are onboard, and they offer a more in-depth visit to the heart of the country.
To learn more about European river cruise itineraries, contact CruiseExperts.com by logging onto our website www.CruiseExperts.com. We are also available by phone at 1-888-804-CRUISE (2784). All of our agents are Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) accredited and can help answer any questions.
Julie joined the CruiseExperts.com team in 2013 as the Marketing Coordinator. She’s lived in Visalia, CA for neaqrly 30 years and is a wife and mother of two adult daughters. She holds a Communications/Marketing degree from the University of Illinois (Go ILLINI!) She has been involved in advertising, marketing, public relations, fundraising development, and event planning throughout her career. “I’m thrilled to work with the CruiseExperts.com team! And I love to travel. Put those together and I have the ideal job!”