10 Fun Cruise Facts
We’ve uncovered a little trivia in the world of cruising. Here are 10 fun cruise facts. Did you know:
- The first official cruise ship was the SS Prinzessin Victoria Luise. She embarked on her first voyage January 5, 1901. Although her life span was short, she changed the world of travel forever!
- Appearances can be deceiving! Even though it doesn’t look like it, staterooms aboard cruise ships are metal. This little feature can come in handy if you bring magnets.
- The Caribbean is the most popular destination in the world for cruise vacations. With its beautiful waters and white sand, I can see why this destination is on the top of everyone list!
- Carnival Cruise Line has the largest fleet in the industry with 24 ships. Carnival is planning on adding one more in 2016. the Carnival Vista. which will be the largest ship they have ever built, capable of holding 4,000 passengers.
- The busiest cruise port is in Miami Florida where over 4.5 million passengers embark on their cruise vacation each year. Runners ups are Port Everglades and Port Canaveral. Obviously people sure love to cruise out of Florida!
- Several cruise lines own their own private islands. These islands offer great shore excursions and can be much cheaper than a typical cruise port stop.
- Most cruise ships are not very pet friendly. So, if bringing your pooch is a deal breaker for you try Cunard. They are considered the most pet friendly cruise line available, and even feature a little dog park aboard their ships.
- Approximately 90% of cruise vacations are booked through travel agents. The cruise industry generates billions of dollars for US economy each year and help to employee hundreds of people across the world.
- Royal Caribbean’s Allure of the Seas and Oasis of the Seas are the largest cruise ships (so far!). They have room for 5,400 passengers, larger than four football fields, and have twenty-one swimming pools!
- Less than 10% of the American population has embarked on a cruise. But, the cruise industry is the fastest growing area of the travel industry according to reports. So, make sure and join the trend, book a cruise with the CruiseExperts.com today at 1 (888) 804-CRUISE (2784).
Kimberly Wheeler joined the team at CruiseExperts.com in September 2014. Her role as a Social Media Marketer is to pass on the expertise of the agency to help travelers understand the world of cruising through blogging. Kimberly has an extensive background in Public Relations and Marketing and a passion for engaging the public. She received her Bachelor’s Degree in Mass Communication and Journalism with an option in Public Relations from Fresno State University in May 2014.